Tablet PC Thoughts

Friday, August 05, 2005

New Palm Zire 72 ... and new applications!


Well ... my Handspring Edge died. I have now gone over a month without it and I just can't go any longer. I have been using Palm devices for a long time, starting with one of the original Palm Pilots. I find that it is just plain useful.

While growing up my father was always keeping lists. Writing down everything that he wanted to do each day ... lists of errands ... shopping lists. Even to this day when I vist him at his home, he'll have a list of tasks, topics, and questions for us to share. I obviously picked up the habit from him ... but I have to admit that I moved from paper lists to the Palm.

I had to do some looking around, and although I had a lot of people telling my to go with the Treo 650, I just really had no interest in having a larger phone. I also have heard a lot of complaints about the Treo devices. In digging around, I finally chose the Zire 72.

The Zire 72 has got a lot of nice features. First off, it's a Palm device that will do everything that my old Palm did. Plus it has a color screen, is a digital camera, can play MP3 music, and has a SD slot for expansion cards. The one other feature that really hit me was the Bluetooth wireless support. It will actually talk to my Nokia cell phone and allow me to send and receive SMS messages, and even dial phone numbers from my Zire address book.

It is this last feature that really got me excited. While ordering I began to think about what possible applications I might create where I have my Zire sending SMS messages for me ... Hmmm. During the checkout process they of course pushed all of the various accessories that I could purchase ... and I did buy one - a SD GPS! I'm thinking that I want to create an application that allows me to send and receive GPS data via SMS from my Zire 72. I can't wait for it to arrive to begin to explore what is possible ...



4 Comments:

  • Awww... missing out, the Treo 650 has been the best phone I've ever owned and I've had 20 +

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 AM  

  • Like Scott, I recently got a Windows XP Tablet laptop at work. It's a Gateway M275. Also like Scott, I am a long time Palm user and currently have a Tungsten T-3. After getting the Tablet computer, I learned that Palm does not support the Windows XP Tablet OS and apparently won't do so anytime soon. I would like to keep the Tungsten. Does Scott, or anyone, have any suggestions for hacks to get around this problem? I'd really appreciate it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:49 PM  

  • PDair Aluminum Metal Case for Palm Zire 72 (Silver)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:01 PM  

  • Scott, your blog is excellent and I really enjoy reading your posts. Thanks

    By Anonymous samsung tablet, at 8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home