Tablet PC Thoughts

Friday, May 19, 2006

May CTO Breakfast


It is time for another Phil Windley CTO Breakfast. It was a smaller group, but some good conversations - both technical and philosophical. Some good talk about business and team management.

I walked in and there was a conversation about "in the net" storage. Bruce Fryer from DiGiSENSE brought up JungleDisk ... which looks very cool! This solves one of the things that I have wanted for a while now. I've been backing up my various laptops and home computers to a server at my house. On Windows I'm using a very cool tool called Second Copy that I found years back. Second Copy provides very customizable copying profiles to mirror date from my hard disk to almost anywhere. So each night when I go to bed I ensure that I set up a Samba share to my Linux server in the basement. Second Copy kicks off after 2:00am and replicates several designated subdirectories from my machine to the server. It also will create "archive" copies of any changed files ... keeping the last {x} copies of changed files. The one hole in my model is that I don't currently have "off-site" backup. With JungleDisk it appears that I can now consider automating the replication of my server storage to Amazons S3 storage in the net!

I really didn't take too many notes today ... the conversations were too fun! I started to fall quite behind in my typing. We talked about Identity, and that VeriSign has added an OpenID service. This is a good thing as it is showing the growing momentum in Internet Identity.

The web site World Mapper was brought up. This is a very cool site that shifts the sizes of the various countries based on a number of criteria. I really like maps and checking out the statistics of the world ... this site has great information.

Someone brought up the "the Lost experience" ... which is a very interesting way that the TV show Lost is now attracting people to the commercials by embedding puzzles into these commercials. Hollywood and the Networks are now starting to learn how to leverage the net ... finally.

Too many other conversations ... I just wasn't committted to blogging it all today. It was fun to be with the group, and I look forward to next month!




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home