Tablet PC Thoughts

Friday, April 21, 2006

Croquet SDK Beta v1.0 Released!


Wow ... I have been too heads down on projects lately ... I missed the release of the new Croquet SDK Beta! I'm downloading it as I write this ... and will begin to write more about what I find.

For those who are not familiar with Croquet, it is a full blown 3d virtual world platform being developed by an amazing team. It is cross-platform for Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms and is able to be networked for multiple users to interact. If you go to the web site, check out the FAQ, and the Screenshots ... they are really worth seeing so that you can get an idea of what is possible.

What I am currently most interested in is the state of the networking components. These were rough when I played with Croquet last, but to me hold the real network effect value of the platform. This is where I am able to "hyperlink" between spaces, and into other spaces. Consider that this is the equivilent of hyperlinking between web pages in the Web ... but that I am moving from space to space in a 3d universe where much of that universe does not exist initially on my machine. Oh yeah ... it's all Open Source!

I'll blog more about my experiences ... I'm also starting to learn more about Second Life and will be comparing and contrasting my experiences.
[04/18/06]
Croquet SDK 1.0 Beta released!



The Croquet Software Developers’ Kit 1.0 Beta has been released. This represents the first complete public release of the core Croquet technology. Croquet is a new open source software platform for creating deeply collaborative multi-user online applications. It features a network architecture that supports communication, collaboration, resource sharing, and synchronous computation among multiple users. Using Croquet, software developers can create powerful and highly collaborative multi-user 2D and 3D applications and simulations.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home